Saturday 2 June 2007

From acorns great oaks grow

For some, it takes more than a few tries to fully wrap your head around this way of eating. I was eating this way last year, then slowly my old foods started slipping back in. Then the beer, oh great.

Just when I couldn't feel worse, something in me took a different turn, and I resolved to clean myself up. It felt so natural to return to the way of eating that made my body thrive.

The fact that you can't un-know what you know, makes the departure from eating well and going back to a party lifestyle kinda no fun anyway.

Did you know that the acronym for the Standard American Diet is S.A.D.? Well, I find that really fits. This recent perspective on just how poorly I can feel eating processed foods is "fresh" in my mind, and there is really no comparison to how delightfully light and sparkly I feel eating this way. But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. Here are some tips I'm learning as I go. If you have some that help you, please email me and I'll add them.
  • Start slowly. Instead of taking foods away, for a while, just add a couple things.
  • Focus on improving one meal at a time for the first month or so, starting with breakfast. Just adding some berries on your cereal and eating a banana with your meal is a good start!
  • Going 100% too quickly (as in, all of a sudden) is a very dangerous idea! This can lead to gastro-intestinal problems (ok, in plain English: really bad constipation and even auto-intoxication!)
  • Being 100% raw is not the goal. Being the healthiest you can be so you can live a Rawkin' life, filled with vibrant energy, is.
  • Think 'bright colors' when you select your produce, as this ensures you ingest all the healthy phytochemicals your body loves!
  • The right kitchen tool for the job is key for efficiency and calm
  • Shop the outside aisles of the grocery store...the fresh stuff is on the perimeter, the junk is in those middle aisles.
  • Focus on everything you can have
  • Loosen up and have whatever you want, just become aware of how it makes you feel.
  • Farmers Markets and food co-ops are a good way to find fresh produce. Shop & compare.
  • Don't get hung up, just make the best choices you can at the time
  • Don't lose your sense of humour!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!