Friday 4 January 2008

Skin Deep

If you've ever wondered what's in your makeup, moisturizer, shampoo, etc... this is for you.

They say a woman slathers on over 200 chemicals before she walks out the door in the morning.

EW, EW, EW.

Skin Deep is a website where you can type into a search the product you're curious about, and up comes the data. In their own words:

Skin Deep pairs ingredients in nearly 25,000 products against 50 definitive toxicity and regulatory databases, making it the largest integrated data resource of its kind. Why did a small nonprofit take on such a big project? Because the FDA doesn't require companies to test their own products for safety.

Soon after going raw, I stopped buying products like makeup and shampoo (I wash my hair with various mixtures that I change up according to what's in my fridge and cupboards: castor oil, avocados, eggs, lemons, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, etc). I did buy some 'health food store' eye shadow and mascara, but in general, don't feel I need much of anything in the way of 'turd polisher', which is what Steve and I call cosmetics. I know! SO RUDE! Not that people are turds. Oh, you know what I mean.

Anyway, I do hope you get something out of looking at that site. Awareness is the start of everything!

I've said it before: what goes on your skin, goes in your skin. (Preach much?)

ANYway...



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!