Thursday 26 February 2009

My Adventure in Kale Chips

Wowza I've got kale chips in the dehydrator, and I hear choirs!! They're not even half done and they're gonna be half GONE if I don't stop it. Somebody slap me!

Here they are on their way in, freshly coated: Aren't they purdy? Well they don't look anything like that now! :) They are darkened and all the coating has been absorbed. My son and boyfriend came in and said, "Ugh, that smells strong, what is it?" And I proudly pulled the door off the dehydrator and said, "Kale chips! They're not ready, but you wanna try one?" I'm all smiles and my son makes a face and tells me they smell like socks!


This doesn't offend me, it brings me joy... more for meeeeeeeee!

I've also got Carrot Pecan burgers in there for dinner, and I'm going to make raw lemon pudding for dessert. I love a good uncookin' day around here!


My pal Mermie passed on the kale chips recipe to me, here it is:


Ingredients:


2 head Kale, Washed and Torn
¾ cup Tahini
¼ cup *Nama Shoyu
½ cup Cider Vinegar
½ cup Water (didn't need it)
2 scallions
1 clove garlic
1 lemon (juice of)
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
¼ cup Fresh Parsley


Preparation:

Place kale in a large mixing bowl. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth to get a thick consistency. Pour over kale and mix thoroughly with your hands to coat the kale. You want this mixture to be really glued onto the kale. Place kale onto a Teflex sheet, on top of a mesh dehydrator screen, and dehydrate for 6 hours @ 115 degrees. You’ll need to use two trays. Rotate kale occasionally to dry uniformly.

*note - dark miso is a good substitute for nama shoyu


Like I said, these aren't even out of the dehydrator and they're already addictive! Mermie calls them "Eat A Whole Head Of Kale Chips In One Sitting Recipe" :)

Here they are during: (I removed the teflex and flipped them onto mesh after a couple hours.) Um, notice the empty spaces. They shrink. Yeah, that's it...they shrink!
If there are any left, ahem, when they're done, I'll post a photo...;)

UPDATE: And here they are! They are crispy and fabu!!! The other full bowl is on my desk, and there are crumbs in my keyboard. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmake these!!



5 comments:

Leah said...

Yum! Enjoy!!
I've made these in the oven before (without tahini) and they were PERFECT. I'm going to try your recipe in the dehydrator this week.

Rawkin' said...

Yum yum yum they are so great! Mermie, who passed this recipe along to me, said that she didn't use scallions or parsley and didn't miss it and they came out to die for! Now we can do it without tahini! These are so easy and it sounds like they are hard to ruin! Mine hardly made it out of the dehydrator, I couldn't stop eatin' 'em! (I'm going out tonight and I sure hope there isn't hell to pay for eating a whole tray's worth!!)

xo
Rawkin'

Gloria said...

They look delicious!

Rawkin' said...

Hi Gloria, I wish I could share some with you right now! You'd be hooked too! They give ya that satisfaction of a snack chip and so they taste like you shouldn't keep eating them...until you tell yourself it's KALE. hahaha I love raw so much! I ate so many and I figure, if anything in the gastro-disastro department was gonna happen, it woulda happened by now, right? So I think I'm good to go! (Do those sound like famous last words to anyone else? lol)

xo
Rawkin'

Kath52 said...

Yum. My kids gobble these up. I'll try out your recipe next time.

We did ruin them once using a red kale with really thin leaves. The leaves stuck to the pan, and we lost a lot of them. That's a mistake we won't make twice. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!