Monday 2 March 2009

Quick, Easy, & Delicious Raw Dinner

Yummety Yummety Yum! Pictured above: Angel Hair Pasta with Marinara Sauce

Still floating around from my raw chef's class on Sunday, I shopped for 'Angel Hair Pasta with Marinara Sauce' and 'Date Nut Torte'.

These were two of my favorite raw dishes, and noting how quick and easy they were to make, I figured I'd dazzle Steve with a great dinner.

He thinks he won the dinner lottery because of my renewed passion in un-cooking! When I'm into something, I AM INTO SOMETHING! My friend listened to me glow on about the course and the lovely teacher, the surroundings, the food, my future in raw foods, everything, and I suddenly noticed myself and stopped talking, aware that I'd been going on a while. She said, "No, go on! I love seeing you all fired up and I can't wait to see you go 500% into this!" xo

Back to dinner, I had most of the ingredients here, but needed to pick up fresh zucchini so I could spiralize it into 'noodles'. I used my trusty spiral slicer (shown below), and cranked out a big bowl of 'pasta' with it.
Here's the recipe:

Angel Hair Pasta and Marinara Sauce

3-4 zucchini

Marinara Sauce:

2 1/2 cups tomatoes

1/4 cup olive oil

4 cloves garlic

1/8 tsp cayenne

12 sundried tomatoes, soaked

1 tsp celtic sea salt

2 tbs parsley (oregano/basil/italian spice)

3 pitted dates

Directions:

Spiralize the zucchini (or slice *very* thin if you don't own a spiralizer)

Pour angel hair zucchini pasta into a bowl

Place all of the Marinara Sauce ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth.

Pour sauce over angel hair zucchini and serve. (Rawkin' note: I smooshed it all in there with my bare hands, coating the whole business with the sauce.)

For dessert, we enjoyed Date Nut Torte. I pretty much promise you will too!

Date Nut Torte

Fudgy, creamy, and sweet!

Base of Tort:

2 cups raisins

2 cups walnuts

Frosting:

1 cup dates, pitted and soaked

3 tbsp lemon juice

For Base: In a food processor, combine raisins and walnuts and process until well blended and moist. (This will take a few minutes and you may see it forming into a ball. Just make sure the raisins come out looking like a fudgy mixture and are not still grainy. Remove from processor and mold onto a plate in a circle about 1 1/2 inches thick.

For Frosting: In a food processor, combine dates and lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting on top of the torte.

Note: I like this served at room temp as the frosting and torte are still sticky, but if you want a firmer texture that will be easier to slice, refrigerate it for a few hours.

Both recipes are from Living On Live Food - Alissa Cohen, and are just 2 of 9 yummelicious dishes you can learn to make at the Level One Living on Live Raw Chef Course.

Here's a piccy of this divine dessert:

Rawk n' Roll!

1 comment:

Serenity Love Divine Earth said...

I have that Saladaco thingy. Yes it works, but it is SHARP. I injured my finger on that thing so deep that it required stitches. Be very careful.

BTW: Very nice blog....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!