Tuesday 10 March 2009

Raw Tapas Style Dinner

I so enjoyed my dinner! I've been laying about, detoxing, not doing much o' nuthin' but watching daytime TV. I must say I'm utterly turned off at the mix of shows available. Why are they trying to make over the world? If it's not your home, it's your wardrobe, your hair, your face, your weight, you name it. Is nobody just fine the way they are? Grateful for what they have? Sigh, maybe it's just me...




He's been raw along with me and is so happy to be losing a few pounds again, and to say goodbye to joint pain, and hello to feeling great overall. He's in raw heaven, with my renewed energy in the kitchen! :) He offered to prepare dinner tonight, but as the afternoon wore on, and I napped over an hour, I was feeling like gettin' up and doing something productive.


We're usually ok with money, but this week's been funny work-wise, so we're a bit out of whack. Fortunately, I sold a painting recently and the money came in the mail today, just in time for dinner! Thank you thank you thank you!


So off we went to the bank, then the store to pick up a couple things. We felt like keeping it light, seeing as I've been under the weather, so I decided to prepare a couple dips, with some sprouted grain tortillas, and a salad. It was *just* what I needed, and delicious to boot.


I found an Indian Spinach dip in Alissa Cohen's Living on Live Food recipe book, and I made our 'staple' hummus recipe.



I should mention the tortillas are Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas, found in the freezer section rather than with the breads. I just let them thaw as I was preparing the dips and salad and they were good to go when I needed to tear them into bite size portions.


I made a fab salad with romaine, dandelion greens, and red chard as the base, and added red pepper, tomato, and cucumber, and sprinkled the whole business with hemp seeds.


And while not raw, I did indulge in a few organic olives that just sent my mouth to heaven. In fact, this whole meal, while quick and easy, was filling as all get-out, and simply divine!



Indian Spinach Dip

4 cups spinach (1 bunch)
1 large avocado or 1 and 1/2 small avocados
1/2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp Herbamare seasoning salt
1/2 clove garlic
1/4 tsp curry
1/8 tsp fresh ginger
dash chili powder
dash cayenne
dash cumin


Directions:

Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Serve as is or warm a couple hours in the dehydrator at 105 degrees


Rawkin' note: Herbamare sounded like it would be difficult to find, because I'd never heard of it, but there it was on the shelf with the salts! Also, I found this dip perfect without warming in the dehydrator. I loved it along side the hummus.




Hummus:

I found this one online, on a blog since deleted, and it was called The Best Hummus Recipe EVER...and it indeed makes you make THE FACE. (If you wish for raw hummus, used sprouted chickpeas. Honestly? I do not bother a lot of the time, but that's just me. I'll write the recipe as I copied it and leave the raw to you)


Combine all of the following in a food processor:

Two 15 oz cans of *chickpeas, drained. Reserve the liquid

1/3 c olive oil
1/3 cup reserved liquid from chickpeas
1 1/2 tsp cumin
generous dash cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp sea salt
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp raw sesame tahini


Directions:

Pulse in fp until thoroughly combined but slightly course. For smoother hummus, add more olive oil and reserved chick pea liquid.
*Chickpea = garbanzo beans


Bon Appetit, Rawkers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!