Wednesday 31 October 2012

Mango & Beet Salad

 Mango & Beet Salad 

recipe from 'Reversing Heart Disease' Program by Dr. Dean Ornish

I tweaked it by not cooking the beets... so I kept this meal 100% raw.  I spiralized them instead with my trusty 'Spirooli', then cut them up a bit.  I also didn't use 1/2 cup of the red onion...probably more like 1/4 cup, if that.  Alsoooo... I used 4 different kinds of 'Artisan' lettuce rather than the leaves mentioned below because I couldn't find them at my grocery store.  

I found this tasty and ate 3 dinner plates of it, heh heh.  I liked the dressing a lot.

(I love that there's no oil in this salad at all.)

 

serving size for one person: 1½ cup
yield: 8 cups (4 to 6 servings)
Although the combination of mangoes and beets may seem strange, they taste wonderful together. The green of the lettuces, the dark pink of the beets, and the orange of the mango makes a spectacular presentation. The beets and the vinaigrette can be prepared and refrigerated up to two days in advance.
  • 4 medium-sized fresh beets, leaves and stems removed
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 bunch watercress, large stems removed
  • 1 small bunch Frisee or American chicory
  • 2 small heads Bibb lettuce
  • 2 peeled and sliced (strips) ripe mangoes  
  • Mango Vinaigrette:
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 peeled, seeded, and chunked ripe mango
  • Pinch salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cook the beets in boiling water for thirty minutes and drain. (or do like Rawkin' done did) When they have cooled enough to permit handling, peel and chop into small cubes. Toss the beets with the red onions and three tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Set aside.
On a medium-sized serving platter, arrange the lettuces on the outside of the plate. Place the watercress in the center of the platter and spoon the beets and onions over it. The mango strips can be arranged around the beets.

(I did the whole business into a large silver mixing bowl.)  My hamburger-eating family just watched me chow this stuff down.  There will be left-overs for tomorrow's lunch.  Of this I am certain.  The whole beet & mango combo didn't put me off at all.  I quite like it.

Maybe you will, too.

Enjoy,
xo
Rawkin'

2 comments:

Lanie said...

That looks rawsome! I have everything at home to make this too!

Rawkin' said...

Hi Lanie!

Thanks for your comment :)

Yeah, ya know...it was pretty darn good. I'm going to have some more with my dinner this evening.
Wow, way cool that you have all those ingredients on hand!

Enjoy!
xo
Rawkin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!