Tuesday 6 November 2012

Raw Vegetable Stew by Dorit

I made Dorit's Vegetable Stew and all I got was this lousy photo!

Actually, the stew was waaay better than this picture.  I haven't made this in a long time, but I was flipping through this site and saw the recipe and went OH YEAHHHH I remember loving this.

And I was right.  It's very good.  Calling it a stew is a stretch but it's a fantastic meal nonetheless.  I thought of it more as an intense salad when I was eating it.

I warmed it in the dehydrator but I didn't have the patience to wait so I ate it pretty cold and it still rocked.

Here is a better photo from the first time I made it, and the full recipe:  (I used beets the first time...either way, yum.)


Vegetable Stew by Dorit, from her book Celebrating our Raw Nature...
yield: 3-4 servings

This meal will help you to maintain a raw diet during cold winters.

Ingredients:2-4 zucchinis, cut into bite-size pieces

1 sweet potato, chopped into small chunks or shredded
1 cup green peas, preferably sprouted (Rawkin' note: I bought frozen organic peas)
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
6-8 button mushrooms, chopped
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
4 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1-2 teaspoons raw olive oil or hemp oil
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
Dash of cayenne
Directions:
Put the zucchinis, sweet potato (or beet) peas, bell pepper, and mushrooms in a large mixing bowl.
Briefly pulse the tomatoes in a high-powered blender (or food processor).
Add the cilantro, onion, oil, garlic, optional lemon juice, cumin, salt, and cayenne to the tomato puree, and pulse until combined but still chunky.
Pour into the bowl with the vegetables and mix well.
Let rest for 2-4 hours before serving (at room temp or in the refrigerator, depending on the climate)
NOTE: If you prefer a more warming stew, add extra cayenne and dehydrate the stew at 105 - 108 degrees F for 1 - 2 hours. Optional - Garnish with fresh cilantro and parsley and serve.


Enjoy,
xo
Rawkin'

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!